Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My GAI 9.5 1975 George Brett got here today

I love it. I think it will only go up in value over the next few years. I know it doesn't carry the prestige of PSA or BVG, but GAI is still somewhat respected as a pretty legit grading company...especially the early labels like this one. Anywho, I never thought I'd own anything like it, and it looks awesome in person. Take a look.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
XL5

Congrats but didn't you already post about it?

BIGGEST ROYALS PICKUP EVER! George Brett! Merry Christmas to me!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs View Post
I love it. I think it will only go up in value over the next few years. I know it doesn't carry the prestige of PSA or BVG, but GAI is still somewhat respected as a pretty legit grading company...especially the early labels like this one. Anywho, I never thought I'd own anything like it, and it looks awesome in person. Take a look.

That is a nice looking card, hope it is not trimmed. GAI/Global Authority is not respected or a legit company in any way. I like countless others have been scammed by these lowlifes. Do a quick google search and you will find countless horror stories. The Iowa BBB site also shows many unopened cases against them.
itradeerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itradeerrors View Post
That is a nice looking card, hope it is not trimmed. GAI/Global Authority is not respected or a legit company in any way. I like countless others have been scammed by these lowlifes. Do a quick google search and you will find countless horror stories. The Iowa BBB site also shows many unopened cases against them.
GAI is just as legit as PSA. PSA has far more horror stories than any other company. GAI cards have the same eye appeal as PSA cards, so the op stole this card for the price.
aliceinpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinpains View Post
GAI is just as legit as PSA. PSA has far more horror stories than any other company. GAI cards have the same eye appeal as PSA cards, so the op stole this card for the price.
-Just because they both suck doesn't mean you should be proud of using them.

lobo_hacker, who thinks most people on these boards don't seem to know the definition of the word 'steal'
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I am not sticking up for PSA because I am no fan of them either but GAI/Global Authority is on a whole different level of scum. They have stolen 1000's of cards from submitters by never returning them, graded many counterfeit/altered cards, and graded countless fake packs as real that where never issued as a real product.

I saw in the other thread that this card was listed in that one of the people that started GAI used to work at PSA. Yes that is true but do some research and find out why he was no longer employed by PSA. They have never been a reputable company.

Yes I hate GAI/Global Authority and the scum bag Damian Werner because I was personally screwed over by them.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have had no problems with GAI cards but many issues with PSA. I once cracked out a PSA 9 and sent it in to GAI and came evidence of trimming.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinpains;6254510

[b
GAI is just as legit as PSA. [/b]PSA has far more horror stories than any other company. GAI cards have the same eye appeal as PSA cards, so the op stole this card for the price.

The bolded is just not true.

The card may be 100% legit - but the fact is if you want to sub a trimmed card or resealed pack GAI is your place.

All grading companies have issues but to say GAI=PSA is just not true.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos

Last edited by mgugs46; 12-13-2013 at 08:20 PM.
mgugs46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Disagree. Its just like asking which is better, ford or chevy?

Plenty of trimmed cards and resealed packs in PSA holders.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Nice looking card anyway. I recently bought a much lower grade copy myself.
crose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

I once purchased an Awesome RC PSA 8. (I'll withhold the name) Thought it was in perfect condition and I figured, what the heck, I'll resubmit at the National in person. I get the card back from PSA and it comes back trimmed. The SAME card that was already graded a PSA 8. PSA simply grads too many cards to not have this happen from time to time, and it's so subjective.
2001 UD GOLF CASES
Packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

GAI legit as PSA is laughable. What planet is that on.

PSA is king plain and simple and only getting bigger and more submissions in.

They have a new holder that seals the same as BGS.

Might be worth a shot taking it to a show and submit it to PSA and see if they will grade it by looking at in GAI holder. Even if they say it's 8 or a 9 would be well worth it getting it into their holder. In most cases their is a reason why this card isn't in a PSA holder already.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I have had no problems with GAI cards but many issues with PSA. I once cracked out a PSA 9 and sent it in to GAI and came evidence of trimming.
You just don't have a clue if you really think that. Is their legit gai cards, yes. However I know for absolute fact that gai became a dumping ground for major dealers trouble/altered cards. I was told by guys running major auction houses this is how they got rid of their trash.

Their first real issue before their pack grading started was grading tons of 1955 bowmans 8 - 9.5 that all had back creases and wrinkles.

They then started losing people's orders and then it started to fall apart.

On that specific card I feel their is something wrong with the left edge, it looks worse on the back.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Gai is on the same level as gem and champs. Ask yourself a simple question. Why would someone submit a card to gai when they could just submit to PSA sgc or bgs and sell it for 3x the price. I wish you luck buyer and I hope it is not trimmed.
callou2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just by doing some simple research on eBay you can see that a card graded by GAI is not even in the same league as cards graded by PSA and BGS.

I hate graded cards and feel that all graders are too subjective to come up with a legit grade that is uniform throughout.

Even though I would never personally submit a card for grading, I would never even consider GAI.
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
Just by doing some simple research on eBay you can see that a card graded by GAI is not even in the same league as cards graded by PSA and BGS.

I hate graded cards and feel that all graders are too subjective to come up with a legit grade that is uniform throughout.

Even though I would never personally submit a card for grading, I would never even consider GAI.
If I send in a card for grading its either BVG or SGC. But if I had to choose between GAI and PSA it will be GAI without question. Their holders are better than PSA's garbage. First of all, GAI is a psa knock-off co, so the PSA people trashing it I find comical.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm not going to risk breaking it out. Lest we forget, the most famous card of all time is trimmed and graded by PSA so...

Last edited by gottagitdemjs; 12-14-2013 at 10:41 PM.
gottagitdemjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not going to risk breaking it out. Lest we forget, the most famous card of all time is trimmed and graded by PSA so...

+1 on that PSA slam. Even with that and all the other shady stuff they do they are still 100X better than the scum at GAI/Global Authority.

All that really matters is that you are happy with the card.

I like many have been screwed by GAI/Global Authority and want to let people know not to send in any cards because chances are you will never see them again.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Congrats on the PC pick-up, but it looks to be trimmed to me.
lloydchristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
As far as that goes I know of a pretty high value card that was subbed to PSA 2 times and came back as trimmed that now sits in a BGS 9.5 slab. All the grading companies have dropped the ball many times
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

At least if you break it out you can claim item not as described within 45 days and get your money back. You arent going to risk breaking it out because you dont want to find out it is trimmed. Lets be honest here.
callou2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #22 (permalink)

congrats on the nice card but 9.5?? Looks on the back scan that it is far from centered l/r
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
congrats on the nice card but 9.5?? Looks on the back scan that it is far from centered l/r
The back centering is definitely within the standards for a 9.5 or a 10. The back can be more off center that the front of the card. I don't agree that front centering is more important than the back. But that's how they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydchristmas View Post
Congrats on the PC pick-up, but it looks to be trimmed to me.
Just curious, what makes it look like its trimmed? Do you have any experience with grading vintage or dealing with it? Because on here you mostly post on modern stuff. Not attacking you. But knowing a person's background and experience with vintage matters a lot when they comment on a card.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Doesnt looked trimmed to me, however doesnt look like a 9.5 either based on the slanted cut that was typical for the 1975 Topps era.
Kodiak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

The back is off centered, and the right side is trimmed, you can clearly see it about 3/4 up the right side
Supercollecting Dillon Overton
Mrpokey is offline   Reply With Quote