Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default PSA grading question

When looking at 1950's Topps baseball, mainly mid to late 50's, how much do you take off for qualifiers? So say you're looking at a PSA 7, one with no qualifiers and one with O/C qualifier, how much deduction would you take on value when buying? I know there is a stigma that bothers collectors when it comes to qualifiers, but at what point is it a good deal to buy an off-center card that has great qualities on the edges, corners, and surface? Any info from set collectors or anybody engaged in 50's Topps cards is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

2 points for a qualifier
if it a psa 9o/c its a psa 7 value
Old 01-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Me personally, I do not like to buy PSA graded cards with qualifiers. I would rather have a lower grade that is nicely centered with some worn corners than an off centered card. But then again, I'm not usually trying to build sets thoughs. Just picking up nice cards of HOFers. I may have to rethink that strategy though because I am considering trying to build the 1948 Bowman set. Not too many cards and the more expensive ones, Musial and Berra, can be gotten at reasonable prices to me.

I would agree with the above post though. I would probably knock a card with qualifiers down about two grades if I had to.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think 1-2 grades is the accepted norm, leaning on the heavy side towards 2. I think if you find a card in a 10 you might see less difference if there is a super low pop.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't buy PSA cards with qualifiers. To me, they are like a "except for" addition.
Like this - it is a PSA 9 "except for" OC. It tells me that it isn't really a 9.

But that's just me.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore_25 View Post
Me personally, I do not like to buy PSA graded cards with qualifiers. I would rather have a lower grade that is nicely centered with some worn corners than an off centered card. But then again, I'm not usually trying to build sets thoughs. Just picking up nice cards of HOFers. I may have to rethink that strategy though because I am considering trying to build the 1948 Bowman set. Not too many cards and the more expensive ones, Musial and Berra, can be gotten at reasonable prices to me.

I would agree with the above post though. I would probably knock a card with qualifiers down about two grades if I had to.
I agree with this. The only card I've found that I would accept is a Trammell/Molitor rookie card with the normal smudge or similar card with a common defect. Early PSA 9 versions of this card were not given qualifiers, but I've seen a few recent ones with the (PD). That smudge just seems normal to me since I got many like that out of packs.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

This is from their website:

"In some cases, a card will be designated with a qualifier. A "qualified" card is a card that meets all the criteria for a particular grade, but fails the standard in one area. For example, a card which exhibits all the qualities of a NM-MT 8, but is 90/10 centered left to right, will receive a grade of NM-MT 8oc. The "OC" stands for off-center. Here is a brief list of qualifiers: OC (Off-center), ST (stain), PD (Print Defect), OF (Out of Focus), and MK (Marks)."

My highlights sums up my thoughts. "Meets all" and "fails one".
Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think it depends on the individual collector.

For me, centering is the most important factor, since I collect cards primarily for their visual appeal. So for me, an off-center card just looks "wrong", even if it has four razor sharp corners. Other collectors have different attitudes.

But generally, Smackjay hit it one the nose, a card with a qualifier gets docked about two grades in terms of financial value/price guides.
mfw13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

I built the 1972 topps baseball psa set
Its up to each collector im strict on a down grade of 2 points BUT on a 1972 topps fisk(which has ALOT of off center cards) I have a psa9oc yes the card is oc but it is near perfect. So to each his own and it wont be to long before all the nice centered examples of 50-60's vintage isn't available.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

1950s and 1960s cards I prefer PSA 8ocs. They often go around their PSA registry value (PSA 6), and look much better then the average 6 I think, which usually is a little oc anyway.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't understand why PSA doesn't allow a submitter to reject the qualifier. I would rather have the real 100% grade taking into account all conditions, than an adjusted grade ignoring one.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

You can request no qualifiers.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wish I could figure out how to get a wax stain off a 54 bowman I have. It is a 9 (st).
callou2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

a question to piggyback on to this thread, why do some cards have the grade and number in the same line and other have the number grade below in the next line?