Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HOF RC Collection

Check out my HOF RC collection. A few years ago I decided I'd try to get every HOF RC out there for all players that got into the HOF via BBWAA vote. I'm not yet worried about managers and players that got in via the Veteran's Committee. As of today, I've got just about everyone going back to 1957. I didn't want to bore you with all the 1981+ ones. Plus, this is the Vintage board. I've tried to get only cards that would grade EX or better. Some of these probably fall a little below that, but some fall well above, I think. You ought to be able to click each thumbnail image below for a larger image. Also, be sure to check out my questions at the end.

So again, this covers 1957-1980...

I know I'm missing one. Can you determine which one I'm missing? It's slightly tricky.

Also, I included two that aren't in the HOF. Which two and why did I include them? This one is pretty easy.

Lastly, and I don't know the answer to this one - am I missing anybody?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by blazin3; 03-03-2014 at 06:27 PM.
blazin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thurman Munson and Pete Rose are the two not in the Hall. Not sure who is missing, I'll keep looking. Great collection!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Brooks Robinson (1957) is missing.

Update: Also missing Orlando Cepeda (1958)

Last edited by Coug46n2; 03-03-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Coug46n2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-I know yer missing more than one. Cool Papa Bell, Brooks Robinson, and a few managers, i think.

Impressive nonetheless, thanks for sharing.

lobo_hacker, off to QT for some flavor-infused liquid caffeine
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug46n2 View Post
Thurman Munson and Pete Rose are the two not in the Hall. Not sure who is missing, I'll keep looking. Great collection!
I included Rose because obviously he'd be in the HOF if not for the ban. I included Munson because a) he very well may have been a HOFer if not for his untimely death... b) there's just something cool about him, his story, etc... and c) 1970 would have had zero representation without him.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
-I know yer missing more than one. Cool Papa Bell, Brooks Robinson, and a few managers, i think.

Impressive nonetheless, thanks for sharing.

lobo_hacker, off to QT for some flavor-infused liquid caffeine
Brooks Robinson is the one I knew I was missing. I thought it was semi-tricky because he has a 57 RC, and that was the earliest year I had gone back to.

I should have pointed out I was/am only going after players, no managers. And I'm also focused on those that got in to the Hall via regular BBWAA vote. For now, I'm not worried about the ones that got in via the Veterans Committee.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mazeroski, Aparicio...

There is a list on Wikipedia that can be sorted by playing years, that way you can see when their rookie cards should be.
sideout1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug46n2 View Post
Brooks Robinson (1957) is missing.

Update: Also missing Orlando Cepeda (1958)
Yep, Brooks is the one I still need to get. Cepeda got into the HOF via the Veterans' Committee, and as I responded to a previous post... I'm focused only on those that got in via BBWAA vote right now... I should have pointed that out in my original post.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1212 View Post
Mazeroski, Aparicio...

There is a list on Wikipedia that can be sorted by playing years, that way you can see when their rookie cards should be.
Mazeroski got in via the Veteran's Committee. Aparacio has a 56 RC. That'll be my next gotta-get card after I pick up a Brooks Robinson.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am doing something similar, HOF/near HOF/memorable players, feel free to look at my thread, just now getting into the more expensive cards.

Using the criteria you listed, and my personal bias, I believe you should add a 1978 Jack Morris. I am not a Tigers/Twins/Blue Jays fan, I just believe he deserves to be inducted when looking at his career as a whole, specifically at the time he played.

I also think you need a 1962 Bob Uecker, he was not elected by the Veteran's Committee or was a manager, I know his playing days didn't earn him the honor.

http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg570/RemyX266/
RemyX266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Nice cards. I aim to do the same some day.

I wouldn't discriminate against the VC guys though, a lot of times the BBWAA had their heads up their collective arses.
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Your missing Tony La Russa in '64 and Bobby Cox in '69. Your probably interested in just players but you should just add them to make it a nice complete HOF Rookie set.

Nick
Autocentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Awesome stuff! I would also consider getting the others like Cepeda, Santo, etc. It makes it more complete. I have been doing the same thing except all PSA graded cause im doing the set registry. Good luck!

Orioles93 Baseball Cards - Hall of Fame Rookie Cards
orioles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Awesome collection! I too am working on a similar collection.
Dalberov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles93 View Post
Awesome stuff! I would also consider getting the others like Cepeda, Santo, etc. It makes it more complete. I have been doing the same thing except all PSA graded cause im doing the set registry. Good luck!

Orioles93 Baseball Cards - Hall of Fame Rookie Cards
Nice collection! There's something about having the raw cards that I just enjoy. I'm curious... why did you go with the Fleer Larkin and the Score Alomar?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin3 View Post
Nice collection! There's something about having the raw cards that I just enjoy. I'm curious... why did you go with the Fleer Larkin and the Score Alomar?
Because they're considered to be their best rookie cards, and they are also the ones that PSA picked for the post war HOF rookie set that I'm doing. Just like from this past year, the best ones are the Leaf frank Thomas, the donruss Greg Maddox, and score Tom glavine.

I also get what you mean about liking raw cards. I have learned to like graded though cause it gives them another level of protection since the cases are very sturdy. I also like the assurance that they are original and not tampered with.

Last edited by orioles93; 03-04-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

awesome stuff man!!

Check out my eBay store for great cards at great prices! Everything set OBO!
HOFcollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Here's another question: how did Jim Palmer avoid the multi-person RC?

Starting in '63 with Rose and Stargell and going thru '68 with Bench and Ryan, all RCs or at least the 14 HOF RCs were all multi-person cards except the Palmer.

Just something interesting I noticed when looking through the cards.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's another question: how did Jim Palmer avoid the multi-person RC?

Starting in '63 with Rose and Stargell and going thru '68 with Bench and Ryan, all RCs or at least the 14 HOF RCs were all multi-person cards except the Palmer.

Just something interesting I noticed when looking through the cards.
Not sure exactly why, except maybe that he wasn't a top prospect at the time and considered a future star. Those multi person rookie cards were usually reserved for the top young players that year. Maybe he wasn't viewed as one at the time.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

I wonder what prices would be like if they didn't go by position and you ended up with Ryan/Bench and Seaver/Carew or Carlton/Perez on the same card.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
I wonder what prices would be like if they didn't go by position and you ended up with Ryan/Bench and Seaver/Carew or Carlton/Perez on the same card.
You'd think they'd be higher but probably not the sum of what the two individual cards would be. Just my guess. Didn't that basically happen with Larry Bird and Magic Johnson in '81? Of course, that whole thing was weird with the perforated thing going on... and they had other cards that year.

That brings up another good question... which multi-player RC had the 2 best talents on it? The first one that comes to my mind is Paul Molitor/Alan Trammell.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Not the best, but a good one: Fisk/Cecil Cooper.
Dalberov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles93 View Post
Not sure exactly why, except maybe that he wasn't a top prospect at the time and considered a future star. Those multi person rookie cards were usually reserved for the top young players that year. Maybe he wasn't viewed as one at the time.
Yeah, apparently Darold Knowles was a better pitching prospect in the Orioles organization at that time.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
You'd think they'd be higher but probably not the sum of what the two individual cards would be. Just my guess. Didn't that basically happen with Larry Bird and Magic Johnson in '81? Of course, that whole thing was weird with the perforated thing going on... and they had other cards that year.

That brings up another good question... which multi-player RC had the 2 best talents on it? The first one that comes to my mind is Paul Molitor/Alan Trammell.
Molitor/Trammell has to be it. Molitor was first-ballot and Trammell should probably be in the Hall as well.

Ryan/Koosman is impressive as well.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

73 Schmidt/Cey is a good one.