Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first*

Welcome New Members! *Read here first* Introduce Yourself and read our General Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lurker finally posting

I've been collecting sports cards on and off for the past 30 years or so. I started when I was six in '82, and stopped when the allure of boobs became more important to me in the late 90's. The last box of cards I bought in the late 90's was some Skybox Basketball box, but I did managed to secure 5 more boxes of cards in '96 for free no less. Turns out my father, who at the time had a clean Yamaha TY180 Trials dirt bike for sale managed to sell the bike to someone who worked for Fleer in their design art group. He sent me several boxes of baseball and basketball cards, including a box of 1995-96 E-XL baseball and basketball.

I tore a bunch of muscles around L5S1 and S2 in the fall of 2007. Options for repair were either Surgery, a 50/50 shot, versus waiting it out and rehabbing without surgery, a 70/30 shot instead. I elected for the latter, even though I was told this would be signficantly more painful long-term as I rehabbed my back.

Because I was laid up for some time, I spent much of my free time to getting back into sports cards, particularly Football. I bought a couple hobby boxes on eBay and the rest was history. Since by 2007 I was a young adult in my late 20's, I could afford to buy the expensive boxes like Upper Deck Premiere and the like. I kind of went hog wild about it. I bought a couple cases of SPx and Leaf Limited, as well as cases of Absolute Memorabilia, and others. I think I got lucky since many of the rookies in that year became bonafide studs later on. Matt Ryan, Flacco, C Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Forte, and many others were all part of a bumper crop of new rookies with loads of talent. I could remember the talent pool talk back in '83 when Elway Kelly and Marino were all picked in the first round, and I felt like I had managed to stumble upon a similar scenario as that.

I suppose my wife wishes I would sell some of the cards, but some of them are almost too nice to get rid of. I have a couple autograph low numbered Ryan and Flacco rookies, same for Rice, Jackson, Forte, and several others. Some of those auto cards are in the neighborhood of 15 or less, including a couple 1/1 cards from what I would refer to as a Tier 1 player, be it a top level rookie or top level star, like a Favre, Brady, or Peyton caliber player. I particularly liked the Press Pass Legends cards, Absolute Memorabilia cards, and Upper Deck SPx cards from '08.

So I'll hopefully be more active on here now that I'm getting back into football cards again, I had to stop for a couple years previous because I was dealing with my father's estate, he died unexpectedly in the spring of 2009 and in turn left my mother and I (I'm an only child) with over a 150 vintage motorcycles (that would be my father's "baseball card collection" so to speak) as well as some choice cars, like a '79 Mazda RX-7 GS and a '99 Superformance Cobra with a small block V-8 351 Ford Windsor Engine under the hood. It took me 3 years to get rid of the majority of his stuff. Add to that a wedding in Ohio for my wife and I and my family, followed by a second wedding in Jakarta for my wife and her family a year later in the summer of 2009, a move west to Oregon from Ohio thanks to my wife's graduation from Ohio State with her PhD and subsequent job with Intel, and most recently the birth of our first child, a son who is now 7 months old.

It has been very busy, but things are starting to settle in to a routine finally, so I will hopefully be able to keep on collecting and buying/selling sports cards again.
Moo Strength is offline   Reply With Quote