Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first*

Welcome New Members! *Read here first* Introduce Yourself and read our General Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting Back Into It

Hey all. I used to collect back in the 70's-90's and got out of it for a while as expendable funds dwindled. Not that much has changed in the money dept, but i am getting back into collecting again!

I pretty much stick to Hockey, Football and Baseball cards, as well as Magic:The Gathering. Been "up" on M:TG but need to retouch with sports cards. I got out right as Upper Deck started to come around, and when I was heavy into it, ony had to monitor 2 card companies: Topps and O Pee Chee! Man it is overwhelming now!

So, which series or set are good ones to follow in Hockey, Football and Baseball anymore? I see that Upper Deck is the leader with the amount of product that is out there...but is that a bad thing? I want to get the most bang for the buck I guess, and don't know who are legit companies ,and who are flash in the pans?

looking to start as a hobbiest, and also fill some holes in my old collections so will be spending some time looking at vintage as well
xpucksx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome!

So, Donruss is now Panini. They kinda rule basketball.
Upper Deck lost all their pro-sport licenses, so they're kinda irrelevant.
Bowman & Topps rule baseball.
Football has a good mix of Topps & Panini products.
There is relatively normal low-end stuff (regular Topps for example) all the way up to extremely high-end stuff that will empty your bank account within a couple "boxes" (which is now a euphemism for "pack" because these boxes only contain ONE PACK )

Anyway, other people can fill in the holes, but that is the main gist.

The hobby is lightyears away from what is once was, such as when "UD" entered the picture in 1989 (I remember that year, too...). Ken Griffey Jr rookie card anyone? Nowadays there are still collectors and set builders, but it much more about cards with relics (jersey, bats, shoes, you name it) and autographs and the best way to hit the best card of the hottest players in order to flip them for top dollar so you can pour even more $$$$ into packs and boxes.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
Welcome!

So, Donruss is now Panini. They kinda rule basketball.
Thanks for the welcome!! I do remember Donruss, and was wondering about Panini, so I will keep a heads up on that. I do see Panini hockey stuff

Quote:
Upper Deck lost all their pro-sport licenses, so they're kinda irrelevant.
Bowman & Topps rule baseball.
OK good. I love it that Bowman is still around as well as Topps. Does Topps still do hockey?

Quote:
Football has a good mix of Topps & Panini products.
There is relatively normal low-end stuff (regular Topps for example) all the way up to extremely high-end stuff that will empty your bank account within a couple "boxes" (which is now a euphemism for "pack" because these boxes only contain ONE PACK )

Anyway, other people can fill in the holes, but that is the main gist.

The hobby is lightyears away from what is once was, such as when "UD" entered the picture in 1989 (I remember that year, too...). Ken Griffey Jr rookie card anyone?
Still have a ton of those 89 UD Ken Griffey's... I remember the smell of those Upper Deck cards, and how much more professional they were compared to the Topps etc...interesting that they have gone down

Quote:
Nowadays there are still collectors and set builders, but it much more about cards with relics (jersey, bats, shoes, you name it) and autographs and the best way to hit the best card of the hottest players in order to flip them for top dollar so you can pour even more $$$$ into packs and boxes.
which is funny cause I remember a day when autographing a card especially would devalue it for a lot of people. I feel like I will not be able to shake off the old drive to build a set, but will probably look to some of the relic type cards as well. Either way, I am excited to get back in, and now there are thigns like this forum to help keep me inline and not spend my $$$ in the wrong place
xpucksx is offline   Reply With Quote