Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first*

Welcome New Members! *Read here first* Introduce Yourself and read our General Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New member from ME

Hello!

I'm Sean, I've been collecting for 15+ years. I started with sports cards, mainly baseball and basketball. Always been a big bosox fan. I've since moved on to non-sports cards. i.e. Star Wars, James Bond, Lotr, various tv shows including Game of Thrones, and my newest addiction: Marvel. I also collect Action Figures, Comics and Autographs.

Let me tell you a little more about myself. I buy because I enjoy collecting. I enjoy opening that pack, or breaking that box. I like the chase, I think we all do. One of the more enjoyable ways to gamble. I've never really been one for set collecting though. If I get a good hit, i'll save it or trade it for something I enjoy more.

I do also buy to invest, though I have yet to sell or flip anything. I'm too attached maybe, or just never get around to it. I may try to save and flip in the long run, but it's a huge gamble as lots of these products seem to lose value quite fast.

On buying cases: The only reason I would buy a case would be so that I can break a couple boxes for free. I'm no scalper. If I break even, hey at least I had fun.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Sean, welcome aboard!!
Copeskey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome Sean to the forums.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sean - welcome aboard. I'm in Boston now, but I grew up in Maine - where you from?

Sounds like you'll fit in well here - lots of sports fanatics/collectors, but also quite a few that are into the non-sports stuff like Marvel, too. I think there was just a Walking Dead group break that filled recently. Keep an eye out for those, they are a blast (group breaks in general). I myself remember the days of G.I. Joe, but I stick to sports cards for now.

Glad to have you!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
Sean - welcome aboard. I'm in Boston now, but I grew up in Maine - where you from?

Sounds like you'll fit in well here - lots of sports fanatics/collectors, but also quite a few that are into the non-sports stuff like Marvel, too. I think there was just a Walking Dead group break that filled recently. Keep an eye out for those, they are a blast (group breaks in general). I myself remember the days of G.I. Joe, but I stick to sports cards for now.

Glad to have you!
Hey, I actually spent a lot of my youth living in Southie. My home is about 30 minutes from Portland. Though I currently staying overseas.

Oh yeah, I tried picking up some of The Walking Dead but missed the presale, then kept missing the Cryptozoic ninja sales or whatever they call it. After a while I just said forget it and convinced myself that the series was overatted and not worth it. *shrug

Yeah loved GI Joe, I remember those days, but Ninja Turtles too and Batman! I always thought Michael Keaton was the best Batman ^^

Thank you and everyone else that posted for the warm welcome.

Last edited by Ronin; 01-02-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Where is 30 minutes from Portland, if you don't mind me asking? We have a family home/cabin in the Rockland area (which I know is a little past 30 min).
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nice. For me it was G.I. Joe and He Man - my buddy was big into Ninja Turtles, but I never really got into it.

Regarding those group breaks, you should definitely keep an eye out for them as they open up/begin to collect participants. Since this is through Blowout, and there are a bunch of people on here who break/host a TON of cases, we are afforded access to some stuff that you wouldn't otherwise be able to get if a) you are buying them individually by the box or b) if you were trying to get them at a local card shop.

Here is a link to that Walking Dead group break, just so you can get an idea of how they work:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/a...draft-3-a.html

Oh, and I grew up in Kittery Point - my family is still there. Maine is a huge part of my/my family's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Hey, I actually spent a lot of my youth living in Southie. My home is about 30 minutes from Portland. Though I currently staying overseas.

Oh yeah, I tried picking up some of The Walking Dead but missed the presale, then kept missing the Cryptozoic ninja sales or whatever they call it. After a while I just said forget it and convinced myself that the series was overatted and not worth it. *shrug

Yeah loved GI Joe, I remember those days, but Ninja Turtles too and Batman! I always thought Michael Keaton was the best Batman ^^

Thank you and everyone else that posted for the warm welcome.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Hello and welcome
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Welcome to Blowout Sean , I am in Rhode Island and collect many of the same things you do , I always loved Marvel comics . good luck finding walking dead ,there is a bunch of collectors on the boards who collect the walking dead , PM me when you get settled in here ,I may have a few things for ya
gingerscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Where is 30 minutes from Portland, if you don't mind me asking? We have a family home/cabin in the Rockland area (which I know is a little past 30 min).
Sanford, in the other direction. If you get a chance to get visit sanford, check out Mel's Raspberry Patch (the best homemade food), Shaker Pond ice cream, and Edgar's Olde Mill Burgers (Eds Lunch) for a zun burger/zun dog or clam cakes!

Quote:
Nice. For me it was G.I. Joe and He Man - my buddy was big into Ninja Turtles, but I never really got into it.

Regarding those group breaks, you should definitely keep an eye out for them as they open up/begin to collect participants. Since this is through Blowout, and there are a bunch of people on here who break/host a TON of cases, we are afforded access to some stuff that you wouldn't otherwise be able to get if a) you are buying them individually by the box or b) if you were trying to get them at a local card shop.

Here is a link to that Walking Dead group break, just so you can get an idea of how they work:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/a...draft-3-a.html

Oh, and I grew up in Kittery Point - my family is still there. Maine is a huge part of my/my family's life.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I always buy online and usually shop around for the best price. I missed The Walking Dead train, but it's ok, I haven't even seen the show tbh. So no worries. I'll be looking forward to more Game of Thrones cards and the new Archer cards, and of course I hope they do a set for the new Skyfall movie.

I've been all over and theres is nothing like Maine! 20 minutes to the ocean, 15 minutes to the lake, an hour to the skii slope. The best seafood. Maple syrup, blueberries, homemade ice cream, flo's hot dogs. Pub cinemas where you can eat and drink while you watch a movie on the large screen. oh and some micro brews in the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerscards View Post
Welcome to Blowout Sean , I am in Rhode Island and collect many of the same things you do , I always loved Marvel comics . good luck finding walking dead ,there is a bunch of collectors on the boards who collect the walking dead , PM me when you get settled in here ,I may have a few things for ya
Will do

Last edited by Ronin; 01-02-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sweet! I spent much of my younger years summering on the lakes through that region - Great East, Square Pond, Mousam, etc. I love the entire Sanford area. There may be nothing more peaceful to me than being on the lake...hearing the loons, man it is awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Sanford
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am also from Maine.....but am a lot more North. Im from Madison....if you dont know where that is Skowhegan is its neighboring town and Waterville is about 30 mins away. There are almost no card shops around here....so the boards and ebay are my best friends when it comes to collecting. Augusta has a shop but he has super jacked prices and no singles.

Rob Gronkowski RC collection 35/36 Any help is appreciated!
wingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

I totally agree. Good memories at those lakes, Long Pond too! Ever been to Bay Haven Lobster Two in Cornish?

Quote:
Sweet! I spent much of my younger years summering on the lakes through that region - Great East, Square Pond, Mousam, etc. I love the entire Sanford area. There may be nothing more peaceful to me than being on the lake...hearing the loons, man it is awesome!!
Well hello fellow mainiac! Yes I know where that is. I've heard Waterville has a few shops. As far as i'm aware I only know of one shop near sanford and that is in Moody called Aw-Comon-In. That's still a 25 minute drive. I know of none in the Greater Portland area. So I feel your pain. Now it's even worse, I live in the Netherlands and there aren't card stores here. I think they sell Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! at the kids store. Anywho I don't particularly like buying boxes from card stores in general as they are most often marked up $10-$20 per box. The shops are a dying breed. I buy all my stuff online now. Sure I miss out on great deals from time to time, or overpay $10 here, $15 there. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingah View Post
I am also from Maine.....but am a lot more North. Im from Madison....if you dont know where that is Skowhegan is its neighboring town and Waterville is about 30 mins away. There are almost no card shops around here....so the boards and ebay are my best friends when it comes to collecting. Augusta has a shop but he has super jacked prices and no singles.