Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first*

Welcome New Members! *Read here first* Introduce Yourself and read our General Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trying to find my identity...

Hello fellow collectors. My name is Steve and I started getting into collecting football cards this year along with my son. I've spent the last month or so lurking on the forums, mainly being in awe of some of the pulls in the box/case breaks section.

I'm struggling to decide just how serious a collector I am. I've dropped probably around $3000 on cards so far this season. That feels like a pretty good chunk of change to me, but I know it's a paltry amount compared to what a lot of you spend. I'm wondering if it's feasible to turn enough of a profit buying cases and then selling sets or individual cards on eBay to support my own card "habit".

I look forward to being a contributor here on the Blowout forums.

Last edited by darthclem; 02-11-2008 at 04:16 PM.
darthclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Only way I'd advise anyone to get into this business is that you have to enjoy it first and try to make money second. If your the type of person that gets po'd at your wife for a week because she washed your jeans with $10. in the pocket than this business is not for you because you stand to lose alot more than that over the next few products you rip. The higher the cost on a product the tougher it is to get your money back or make anything. If your buying to keep some and sell some than its all about being into the stuff you keep for as little as possible. Good luck either way.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
If your the type of person that gets po'd at your wife for a week because she washed your jeans with $10. in the pocket than this business is not for you because you stand to lose alot more than that over the next few products you rip.
I'd be pretty excited just to have my wife do laundry on a regular basis, regardless of what's in the pocket.

I definitely find that this hobby is a lot like playing slot machines. You can play $2 slots and open a lot of packs of cards but not get much of a payoff, or you can play $200 slots and while the potential reward is a lot higher, you only get to pull the handle a couple of times.

While it's fun buying the occasional box of Leaf Ltd or Triple Threads, I don't know yet if I have the intestinal fortitude to be trying my luck with cases...
darthclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't spend alot on cards. is a season to you a year? if so thats about what i spend. I don't have the luxery of the hobby shops, but I pulled some nice ones from wally world and such. I don't even buy cards on a weekly basis, if i feel like busting, i run to the store. I'm just in it to bring back my childhood. if i make some money so be it, and if i find a sweet Big Hurt card that someone trades me that i been looking for for years than thats priceless. As long as you have fun with ityou'll be fine.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

collecting is such a lottery. hit the right one and you're gold. sometimes you get all base, but all you need is a couple dollers and a dream