Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first*

Welcome New Members! *Read here first* Introduce Yourself and read our General Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another new arrival (with questions!)

Hello - just getting back into collecting baseball (so far just Bowman). The last time I was really into collecting baseball was waaay back when I was in grade school (mid 70's! ). I bought a bunch of Bowman 2007 baseball boxes here at blowout to pass the time between the end of football season and the start of baseball season, and I think I'm hooked again!

I have some questions about trading, and want to ask them here so I don't waste the time of or p.o. the veteran traders out there.

1) Is there an accepted "etiquette" towards posting items you want to get/want to trade? I've seen one for Bowman baseball where the trader lists what they're looking for and what they have extra to trade. That seems simple enough, but wondering if there is more to it. (I do realize this is a very "open ended question", just looking for some basic insight).

2) Similar question for responding to posts for trades. Looks like PMs are the preferred method, but do you need to put in anything more during that first contact than you offer? (e.g. - I have cards 1,2,3 that you're looking for - I'd like cards 4,5,6 from your extras).

3) Say you make a deal for a trade. Do you normally both send the cards you're trading at the same time or does one person usually send first and then the 2nd person sends when they get the first person's cards? I realize either way there is a large degree of trust between the traders if you've never traded with them before. And if someone doesn't uphold their end there's not much recourse

4) Sending cards: do you normally send in toploaders (say for a couple of single cards), plastic boxes (up to 100 or so I guess) or what? And via regular mail, or regular mail + delivery confirmation/UPS/etc.?

Also looking for any general advice or tips you might have. Apologies in advance if these subjects have been covered elsewhere - I didn't see these covered under any of the "stickied" posts.

Thanks --- William (January-13)
January-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by January-13 View Post
Hello - just getting back into collecting baseball (so far just Bowman). The last time I was really into collecting baseball was waaay back when I was in grade school (mid 70's! ). I bought a bunch of Bowman 2007 baseball boxes here at blowout to pass the time between the end of football season and the start of baseball season, and I think I'm hooked again!
welcome to the boards and welcome back to the hobby

Quote:
1) Is there an accepted "etiquette" towards posting items you want to get/want to trade? I've seen one for Bowman baseball where the trader lists what they're looking for and what they have extra to trade. That seems simple enough, but wondering if there is more to it. (I do realize this is a very "open ended question", just looking for some basic insight).
simplicity works the best. when there is a new product, someone will almost always start a "trade thread", where everyone will post their needs/extras and everyone responds to one another accordingly. When busting a product that has already been out there, I would suggest run a search for that product, see if there is a thread out there, and review it. then hit those people up on PM to see what they have. ... and if all else fails, there isn't nothing wrong with starting your own thread after you've done your own "due dilligence"

Quote:
2) Similar question for responding to posts for trades. Looks like PMs are the preferred method, but do you need to put in anything more during that first contact than you offer? (e.g. - I have cards 1,2,3 that you're looking for - I'd like cards 4,5,6 from your extras).
If its for set fillers, I have always left it up to the other person, i.e., "i have 5 of your wants, what could you fill for my needs?" to some people the amt of cards doesn't matter, unless it dramatically increases the weight. All is negotiable and sometimes it just "depends", esp if you've traded with that person before.

Quote:
3) Say you make a deal for a trade. Do you normally both send the cards you're trading at the same time or does one person usually send first and then the 2nd person sends when they get the first person's cards? I realize either way there is a large degree of trust between the traders if you've never traded with them before. And if someone doesn't uphold their end there's not much recourse
this comes down to board reputation. i've never had a deal go south. if i tell them im going to ship by a certain date, i will. if i can't meet it, i try to tell them right away and that has been reciprocated to me as well. if you are trying to fill sets to sell and need them right away, let them know and maybe that other person will give you the option for faster delivery for a price?

but like i said, when it comes down to it, its all about board reputation to me. if you have concerns, there is nothing wrong with possibly identifying a regular of the board and asking about the other person (In PM's). i've done it. i encourage it. nothing wrong with looking out for yourself.

Quote:
4) Sending cards: do you normally send in toploaders (say for a couple of single cards), plastic boxes (up to 100 or so I guess) or what? And via regular mail, or regular mail + delivery confirmation/UPS/etc.?
my personal shipping methods:

commons: top loaders or card savers in a bubble envelope
boxes: for a lot of cards.

ship it all via usps first class unless the other person pays for faster shipping. heavy shipments via UPS.

Quote:
Also looking for any general advice or tips you might have. Apologies in advance if these subjects have been covered elsewhere - I didn't see these covered under any of the "stickied" posts.

have fun. this is more of a mature board than others and a lot of people have a lot of insight.

hope this helps
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I have some questions about trading, and want to ask them here so I don't waste the time of or p.o. the veteran traders out there.

No real "etiquette" on this. I'd say use one post, and do it both ways. Might make the later part go smoother (if someone knows what you need, and what they need, may save some time.

This has worked for me for quite some time

Generally agreed upon between people. Not everyone can get to the post office daily, some can, others ship with dc. I've even had them come with insurance!

Bigger concern is they arrive safe and sound. Most of use hate giving the post office extra money, as much as ebay.

You get bonus points for searching the threads first! Oh and welcome!

iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies and the info!
January-13 is offline   Reply With Quote