Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first*

Welcome New Members! *Read here first* Introduce Yourself and read our General Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dan

Default New from Florida

Hi, I just joined. I started collecting baseball cards in 1984. Stopped in 1989. Resumed in 1990. Began strictly collecting Minor League cards in 1994 and stopped collecting completely in 1998. This summer I bought my first pack of Topps cards in over 20 years. Now, I feel myself slowly getting back into the hobby.

Baseball cards have changed so much since I have been regularly into them. Sets seem smaller and inserts have greatly increased.

I'm also an autograph collector. I have my own site (Daily Autograph), where each day I post a different autograph from my collection.

I look forward to reading and posting often on here.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dan welcome to the boards. I browsed your website and I think reading how you obtained some of your autos are nice. Those are the stories I like to hear. Two of my favorite all time signers that were the best people in person Rayfield Wright OT for Dallas Cowboys and Lester Hayes CB for Raiders. Quick story on both, asked Mr. Wright if I could take a photo with him and he said sure. Dude was a giant at 6'6" and then Hayes was 1 1/2 hours late to his showing in a local mall and I waited 3 hours and was first in line as a 8 yr old. Gave me a deal and signed like 4 items for $40 because I was first in line. Love when players are awesome about signing.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome aboard.
burgbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberromo2008 View Post
Dan welcome to the boards. I browsed your website and I think reading how you obtained some of your autos are nice.
Thanks for checking out my site. I wish I could go into more detail with some of my stories, but I'm going off memory from 20+ years ago.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome from a fellow bay area guy. Unfortunately, there isn't much in terms of card shops in our neck of the woods. Good one in South Tampa, but that's about it.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Welcome from a fellow bay area guy. Unfortunately, there isn't much in terms of card shops in our neck of the woods. Good one in South Tampa, but that's about it.
welcome neighbor, and there is a good shop north of country side mall. plus we have...Houdini, enough said. I will definitely check your site out.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dan

Quote:
I like your location. I've got several of my autographs at Bright House Field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmitt92 View Post
welcome neighbor, and there is a good shop north of country side mall. plus we have...Houdini, enough said. I will definitely check your site out.
Are you talking about Wonder Water? I haven't been to their current location, but have been to their previous 2 stores.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I like your location. I've got several of my autographs at Bright House Field.

Are you talking about Wonder Water? I haven't been to their current location, but have been to their previous 2 stores.

I actually live in the Westchase (Tampa) area, but spend a ton of time at Bright House.

Wonder Water is pathetic, and if that horrible store in New Port Richey on 19 still exists, they hold the title for worst card store in Tampa.

The only decent one is ... well, I'm not sure if they go by Baseball Card Clubhouse or Supercards. Skip is the owner -- big guy. He used to be on Hillsborough next to a barber shop, near The Ranch House - - between Memorial and the Veterans. He moved down to Hillsborough and Racetrack, in the shopping center diagonally from the Flea Market. Now, he moved down to South Tampa, on South Dale Mabry, across from Plant High School, near the PDQ in South Tampa.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmitt92 View Post
Where? Wonder Water? Paying a fee to get a membership to a club where you then get the benefit of paying 1.5-2x retail is not a club I want to join.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I actually live in the Westchase (Tampa) area, but spend a ton of time at Bright House.

Wonder Water is pathetic, and if that horrible store in New Port Richey on 19 still exists, they hold the title for worst card store in Tampa.

The only decent one is ... well, I'm not sure if they go by Baseball Card Clubhouse or Supercards. Skip is the owner -- big guy. He used to be on Hillsborough next to a barber shop, near The Ranch House - - between Memorial and the Veterans. He moved down to Hillsborough and Racetrack, in the shopping center diagonally from the Flea Market. Now, he moved down to South Tampa, on South Dale Mabry, across from Plant High School, near the PDQ in South Tampa.

Dont want to start a fight, but I have to disagree. Wonder water is great, only place I can get wax cheaper tham blowout. Granted last year there building was gettung re-roofed and long dtory short there building got flooded. The owner Perry is awesome. Always holding in store case breaks on release. All the other stores have not been around for about years. OP- just go check em all out and decide for yourself. There is also a nice place over in Orlando off orange blossom that is good, makes for a nice outing with the kids, nothing like go carts corn dogs then busting some wax.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

I had the worst experience at Shortstops of any single card store I've ever been in.

Wonder Water is great if you want to pay a membership fee to buy cards above retail.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dan

Quote:
I remember Skip. I used to go to that store on Hillsborough a lot. He'd have pack wars there every Friday night. He also had a weekly hotline where you'd call and get a recorded message and find out what's new and hot in sports cards for that week.