Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first*

Welcome New Members! *Read here first* Introduce Yourself and read our General Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Back in the game!!

Hello everybody,

New to the forums, only recently back into the hobby, after a near 10 year hiatus! I always collected as a kid, switched from cards to video games in about '93 or '94, and my collecting came to a standstill.

Around '99-2000 I started buying cards again, (usually just a few packs here and there)

I tried my best to jump on the Pujols/Ichiro train in '01, jumping back in head first and opening box after box of SP Authentic. Never hit a single one, then I felt bitter and decided to take a break. Is 10 years just a 'break'? Which brings us up to the present.

While trying to come up with an enjoyable way to earn a little extra money I had an idea. Baseball cards!!! I always enjoyed collecting, why not try to buy and sell cards and see what happens. Couldn't hurt, right?

So I go to the LCS and pick up a box of 2009 Topps 206 (he didnt have any 2010), 2010 Topps series 2, and 2010 Allen and Ginter. This is what I pulled:

206: SPs of Pujols and Lincecum, Mini SP and foil Pujols cards, a common auto and a Ryan Howard relic.

A&G: Buster Posey RC, Red Sox cabinet card? (the big box topper thing) black bordered Utley and Verlander minis, a handful of common back variations, only 1 was #'d, and 1 had No number. And another Howard relic. Oh, and Celestial Stars Pedroia

Series 2: Heyward and Posey RC x2, Johan Santana magenta printing plate, a bunch of random inserts, and another common auto.

A few days later I get the itch again, and started researching prices and different sets on the internet. Wow its a LOT cheaper than my LCS! (but you dont get the card shop feel with it, which sucks, but I'm trying to make money, so I need to buy cheap!

So after some research I decide I like the look and price of 2010 Topps Heritage. I decide to dive right in again and purchased 6 boxes! I think this may have let me forget about the SP Authentic incident from '01. What I pulled:

Babe Ruth Relic #8-#'d 1/3 (Game worn Pants w/ pinstripe!) 1:13,000+ packs
Buster Posey ROA Blue Ink Auto
2 Black Refractors- Cliff Lee, Adrian Gonzalez
Dual Stamp- Delgado and Butler
3 1961 Buybacks- 2 commons and 1 common RC
Box Top Team stamps- Cardinals is the only listed team I got, but oh well
3 common relic cards
Chrome Refractor notables #'d/561. Jeter, Ichiro, Madison Bumgarner
4x Posey base RC
Around 80 of the high numbered end of set white backed SPs (common & listed)
2 Complete sets of the Chase 61 Ruth insert cards (15)
1 complete set of Baseball Flashback and News Flashback inserts.
Lots of regular chrome
Other random inserts

I think thats the majority of it! The Ruth card alone makes me want to keep testing my luck!

The weird thing is, out of 6 boxes of this stuff, I pull a hard to find Ruth relic but didn't get a single base/SP/anything Pujols. Oh, and one of the boxes was missing its hit.

So now I've sent a package to BGS, hopefully I get good some good grades. I'll be posting scans in about 32 days or so when I get everything back.

I apologize if including these breaks in this forum is against the rules, but this is the story of my recent return to the hobby, and my arrival on these forums. Any future breaks will be posted in the correct forum. Look for a multi brand/box football break from me soon! The order has been placed

I must also apologize for the long winded introduction. I tried to break it all up and make it easily readable for any who take the time to read it.

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to getting to know everyone!

It's good to be back!!!
bartender623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Pretty nice return to the hobby for sure. Welcome to the boards!
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the boards.

remember it's a hobby and it's not always about the big hit! I enjoy the hobby just to rip and collect.

nice hit on the Ruth and good luck on your grading and future breaks!!
NEED: 2010/11 SP AUTHENTIC Steve Alford Letter Autos A,O,R
g8rzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rzfan View Post
welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the boards.

remember it's a hobby and it's not always about the big hit! I enjoy the hobby just to rip and collect.

nice hit on the Ruth and good luck on your grading and future breaks!!
One of the best pieces of advice you can take or you will end up one depressed collector many, many times.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
One of the best pieces of advice you can take or you will end up one depressed collector many, many times.
yes!

I know I have been there!
NEED: 2010/11 SP AUTHENTIC Steve Alford Letter Autos A,O,R
g8rzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hello and welcome to Blowout!!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

10 years is a break. I stopped colleccting in 1996 and picked back up in 07. So welcome back, and welcome to Blowout!

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote